Each year the Island’s Community Archaeology Group (CAG) in partnership with the AONB and Isles of Scilly Wildlife Trust carry out a number of clear-up sessions at places of interest across the Islands. These events, although led by the CAG and it’s members, are open to everyone and you know what they say?
“Many hands make light work!”
Before & After pictures from Works Carn, Bryher in 2015
So whether you live in Scilly or are just visiting why not take a look at the list of scheduled dates below and book one or two into your diary? It’s a fantastic opportunity to get up close to some of our ancient sites, especially on the uninhabited Islands, and learn a little more about them from local archaeologist Katharine Sawyer.
- Saturday 12th March 2016 ~ Halangy Entrance Grave, St Mary’s;
- Saturday 16th April 2016 ~ guided walk on Bryher, led by Katharine Sawyer and Charlie Johns (including a chance to admire previous CAG work at Gweal Hill and Works Carn!);
- Saturday 21st May 2016 ~ Clapper of Works Entrance Grave and Cairn, Gugh;
- Sunday 26th June 2016 ~ Cottage, Chapel etc, Tean;
- Sunday 31st July 2016 ~ Cairns and Hut Circles, Great Ganilly;
- Saturday 20th or Sunday 21st August 2016 (tbc) ~ Salakee Down, St Mary’s;
- Sunday 11th September 2016 ~ Cottages and Entrance Graves, South Hill, Samson;
- Sunday 23rd October 2016 ~ Signal station, Chapel Down, St Martin’s;
- November 2016 (date tbc) ~ Entrance Graves, Kittern Hill, Gugh.
As these events take place outside they are dependent on the weather and as a result changes of venue or cancellations can occur at the last minute.