– Formally cattle and sheep-grazed pasture on hill-slopes and within valleys.
– Predominantly anciently enclosed landscape of irregular fields with stone wall boundaries and with some historic features within fields.
– Various shapes, sizes and patterns create a patchwork of managed land that is distinctive on each island.
– Intermediate landscape between small-scale regular bulb-fields and open heathland.
– Many fields in marginal areas (hill-slopes or adjacent to unenclosed land) have been abandoned and colonised by bracken and gorse.