– Low-lying sheltered coast frequently backing wide bays fringed with white quartz sandy beaches.
– Varied vegetation including short turf swards, dune pasture and accreting dune systems with marram grass.
– Areas of short turf often feature open freshwater pools.
– Naturalised exotic species such as agapanthus and Hottentot fig have colonised many dunes and coastal edges.
– Fields created on sandy soils support rich populations of arable plant species that provide remarkable summer colour.
– High nature conservation value including outstanding lichen, nationally rare plants and invertebrates and important archaeological sites spanning prehistory to modern times.